Monday, July 7, 2008

Starting from Scratch

In 2000, I bought property in Wyoming and intend to someday retire there. I designed the house (on paper) and then sat around waiting until I could actually afford to build it. It's now 2008 and I finally came to the realization that I could "wait" for a long time and never benefit from enjoying the landscape, views and easy accessibility to climbing. I've scaled down my project to a workshop for stained glass. It started out as a 20' X 15' studio with just a sink. Now, it's around 29' X 15' (includes an entrance vestibule), has a partial round wall, a toilet, standing shower and sink. This studio will be my prototype and way to work out the bugs in building a bigger house.

I've researched building materials and have decided on Rammed Earth. www.rammedearthhomes and www.rammedearthworks.com are great starting points and resources to better understand what this means.
This journal is my attempt to keep family and friends connected to what I've been up to. Enjoy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very cool. I look forward to seeing photos of your progress.